6 hour Pass Plus Course: £180
The pass plus course is designed by the DVSA in association with the Insurance and driving instruction industries for those people who have passed their test and is aimed at speeding up your driving experience.
There are 6 subjects covered these are motorway driving, dual carriageways, adverse weather conditions, country roads, night driving and busier town driving. As well as speeding up your experience you can also save a considerable amount on the cost of insurance with participating insurers.
My Pass Plus training course
Pass Plus is a road safety initiative aimed at improving the skills of newly licensed drivers. After pupils pass their test they can pay for further tuition from a registered Pass Plus instructor. Pupils reaching the required standard should then be entitled to a substantial discount on their motor insurance premium. Most of the large insurance companies participate in this discount scheme. If you are 19 or younger Kent County Council offer a subsidy of £60 making the course even better value at £120 for the full 6hrs!
The course will take a minimum of 6 hours to complete. It must be done within the first year of gaining your licence and has been proven to lower the risk of new drivers being involved in accidents. We recommend all newly qualified drivers take this course after passing their driving test. For your information I have listed below how I structure the course and what is covered in each section. There is also a certain amount of flexibility so if you want to focus more on a specific subject or area then this can be incorporated into the course, just discus it with me prior to starting the course.
Pass Plus Session 1 - 3hrs
- Vehicle checks
- Fitness to drive
- Map or Sat Nav
- Plan your breaks
- Following the route
- Plan B
All Weather Driving
- Snow & Ice
- Wind & Rain
- Bright Sunshine
- Joining & leaving including service stations
- Road signs & markings
- Breakdowns & safety procedures
- Overtaking & forward planning
Pass Plus Session 2 - 3hrs
- Plan a route to selected town using map
- Follow a route to next town using Sat Nav
- Follow signs to multi story car park
- Park in a busy supermarket car park
- Find a suitable space in side road taking into account parking restrictions & size of gap
- Explain all the lights & when to use them
- Additional dangers at dusk, dawn & night time
- Appropriate speed in Town centre, rural roads & motorways
- Cornering at speed
- Additional hazards
- Follow route home on Sat Nav